Wednesday, September 25, 2013

things that mean things

Weird title, I know.

For some time now (years really) I've been midly obsessed with quotes. For some reason I never have been quite creative enough or something to write something truly powerful and something that just sticks with people. I do enjoy a good quote or song lyric and through the years I have come across many that have stuck with me through really great times and REALLY shitty times. If I thought I could write a book and just publish a lot of other people's quotes I totally would. Prolly unlikely that's even allowed tho.

So for now, I give you a list of some of my all time favorite quotes. Don't ask me why I am doing this cause I seriously have no idea, other than I just finished eating dinner, have nothing else to do work wise, I'm bored out of my mind, and its only 8:30pm and too early to go to bed. Oh and my husband seemingly hates me and has turned off my cable, leaving me in the hands of about 15 Spanish channels and 30 evangelist stations and honestly I just can't deal with either of those options right now. Ahhh what I wouldn't do right now for a little Food Network action... *sigh*

Anyway - on with the quotes. Enjoy :)

XO -E

The struggle is part of the story.

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet (Bob Marley) - *this quote is currently adorning my chalkboard thingy in my kitchen :)

I am not what happened to me - I am what I choose to become. (Carl Jung)

Sky above me; Earth below me; Fire within me.

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love. (Washington Irving)

You were given this life because you were strong enough to live it.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means you were stronger that whatever tried to hurt you.

Kindness is a language that the deaf can hear and the blind can see. (Mark Twain)

I don't have a choice - I still choose you. (The Civil Wars)

All great changes are preceded by chaos.

Once there came a storm in the form of a girl. It blew to pieces my snug little world. (Nick Cave)

If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased (Katherine Hepburn)

Every scar I have makes me who I am.

The cure for anything is salt water:: sweat, tears or the sea (Isak Dinesen)

No one has ever become poor by giving. (Anne Frank)

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.

Preach the gospel always and if necessary use words (Francis of Assisi)

there is something beautiful about all scars, whatever the nature. A scar means the hurt is over, the wound is closed and healed - done with.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart. (Winnie the Pooh)

The couples that are meant to be are the ones that go through everything that's designed to tear them apart and come out even stronger.

What you allow is what will continue.

Even after all this time the Sun never says to the Earth "You Owe Me" - Look what happens with a love like that. It lights up the whole sky.

Your journey has molded you for your greater good and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think that you've lost time. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now and now is the right time. (Asha Tyson)

I want my life to out live the breath in my lungs.

Let all that you do be done in love. 1 Corinthians 16:14

If God is all you have, you have all you need. John 14:8

To know even one person has breathed easier because you have lived - this is to have succeeded. (Emerson)

In one sense there is no death. The life of a soul on earth lasts beyond his departure. You will always feel that life touching yours, that voice speaking to you, that spirit looking out of other eyes, talking to you in the familiar things he touched, worked with, loved as familiar friends. He lives on in your life and in the lives of the others that knew him. (Angelo Patri)

Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you're going to remember about me. (Al Capone)

Don't be delicate. Be vast and brilliant.

If you expect the world to be fair with you because you are fair, you are fooling yourself. That's like expecting the lion no to eat you because you didn't eat him.

Always be yourself. Unless you can be a pirate. Then always be a pirate.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. (Gandhi)

A tiger does not loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting for in movement there is life and in change there is power. (Alan Cohen)

Cause in the beginning it came from above
Let there be love
Let there be love
Everyone needs it but many give up
Their spirit is crushed
They try and can't trust
But love can win out and it must.

(Matthew Barber)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment